Summer is just around the corner. That means its time to hit the beach or the park and reveal your honed body to the masses! However, if you’re carrying a bit of winter fat then fear not, there’s still time to whip yourself into shape and reveal those abs in time. Nothing attracts the opposite sex like a well defined stomach on girls or a washboard stomach on the guys.
Contrary to common belief, busting your gut with gruelling crunches isn’t the only key to abs of steel. Furthermore, it is impossible to burn fat just around the stomach. Fat loss is achieved equally across the body. In actual fact, the key to a toned, flat stomach is actually to get control of your body fat. By maintaining a healthy, low fat diet and doing regular cardio to strip away excess fat, you stand the best chance at getting the definition you want.
Here are our tips for getting killer abs in just 6 weeks:
Maintain a healthy, low fat diet:
- Reduce your calorie and fat intake.
A gradual decrease in calories (100-200 less per day) means you have less to burn. Avoid fatty, processed foods but make sure you get the essential fats you need to maintain a healthy diet. You can find these good fats in oily fish, nuts, avocado and olive oil.
- Get the right protein and the right carbs.
If you’re cutting out calories, you still need a healthy protein intake to get that washboard stomach. Maximuscle recommend “around 2 grams of protein per kilogram of bodyweight per day” for a lean look. Stick to low fat, high protein sources like chicken or tuna. Avoid the stodgy, sugary carbs like white bread, cake and chocolate, and replace with fruit, vegetables and fibre-rich foods like brown rice and bran.
- Eat regular small meals.
It’s the old ‘little and often’ approach. By eating more often you should feel the need to eat smaller amounts. Supplement these small meals with fruit or protein bars.
Introduce fat burning exercises to your routine:
- Cardio is the best form of exercise for burning those unwanted pounds. Make sure you’re doing sustainable cardio like running, swimming or cycling at least 3 times a week.
- Keep up your weights to ensure you don’t lose muscle along with body fat. Resistance training 2-3 times a week should be followed by a high protein shake like Sci Mentor Premium Whey to help muscles re-build.
- Build your abdominal muscles by working your abs 2-3 times a week. You don’t have to sweat your way through hundreds of crunches, do 2 to 3 sets of 8-15 reps, varying the resistance. The abdominals are just like any other muscle in the body. If you want to add on size start to introduce weight resistance to your ab workout. Try using medicine balls!
And if you religiously follow the steps above then in 6 weeks you should be well on your way! We’ve all got abs, we just need to get rid of the fat and strengthen our abdominal muscles. Eat healthily and exercise regularly. See you on the beach..
Related posts:How Long Until I See Results? How Much / How Often? What Is A Rugby Players’ Diet Like? Whey vs Casein? Protein Smoothie of the Week – Fruit Explosion